My Convention Career: 1994
- Corflu, Crystal City, VA -- Thanks to a business trip that provided me with a free weekend anywhere, I got to use this con as an excuse to get to the DC area and see Camden Yards and the Holocaust Museum. I confused the heck out of most of the con attendees, since the fanzine community is a close-knit one and although I know some people there, a lot of other people were puzzled by who I was and what I was doing there.
- Westercon, Los Angeles -- Turned out I helped run Program Ops at this con thanks to friend Mike Glyer heading it up. This con also featured the first con dinner expedition to a kosher restaurant I'd ever had: my mom had discovered a gourmet Italian place in town! Probably the most notable occurrence at the con was a fake NASFiC bid for Hawaii: Volcono, with ProGoH James Michener, Musical GoH Don Ho, and Media GoH Tom Selleck.
- Deep South Con, Birmingham -- One of the best DSCs and SFPA gatherings ever! Red toenails, Bob Shaw, a grand breakfast at the Original Pancake House, and, to top things off, an expedition to a Birmingham Barons minor league baseball game featuring Michael Jordan.
- Loscon, Burbank -- I was both on and moderating a couple of panels, including kicking someone off who decided he should be on despite specific instructions to the contrary. Also featured a dinner expedition to a strange restaurant where every room had a different theme.
- SMOFcon, Burbank -- No, this isn't a repeat from the city of the previous con: both were at the same hotel and within a week of each other! I got to run a Chanukah party for which some people brought their own menorahs, and the handout at the con was a fake Talmud page using parts of the WSFS constitution and business meeting minutes. I thought this would be appreciated by only the Jews in the crowd but nearly all the attendees got a good laugh out of it.
This page brought to you by Janice Gelb. Last updated February 26, 1997.
This page hosted by